"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Desserts







These almost look better than they tasted :D

I made the trifle, and my sister made the "tart". They both drew out gasps and groans of delightful anticipation from our brothers, but we had to have a photo shoot before we dug in :).

The trifle involved making lemon custard from scratch (have you ever tried to pass egg yolks through a mesh metal strainer?), a lemon pound cake from scratch, berry syrup from scratch and whipping the cream. I'm surprised my fingernails survived all the grating for "lemon zest"!

And I think the recipe used a pound and a half of butter and like 12 eggs (I did double the cake recipe), not to mention a whole quart of cream :D YUM!

It was a lot of work, and maybe the 5 minutes it took to clear my plate of 5,000+ calories wasn't really worth it, but it was quite satisfying to put it all together and stare at it for awhile :) And how many calories in the tart????? Smooth rich cream, chocolate and raspberries.....YUM! Who really cares. We don't eat like this every day.

These were dang good desserts! And fun subject matter for pictures! (I think the tart was a 'Pampered Chef" recipe and the trifle came from http://www.melskitchencafe.com/)


THANK YOU to our WONDERFUL mom, who is more than deserving, and graciously appreciative of our efforts; and who taught us how to cook! (lest the focus of Mother's Day becomes the dessert and not the mom ~ oops. Sorry mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment