"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Thursday, June 17, 2010

It doesn't get much healthier than this.......and it's tasty :)

I found this recipe on Jan 15th 2009. I know that because it's written down in my calendar in the square for Jan. 15th. Each time I want to make this soup, I have to go dig out my calendar and flip through it until I find the upper right hand corner that has a lot of writing on it - then I see the recipe :) I made it again last week during our "winter weather" and I've officially decided it's a "keeper". So maybe I'll finally write it down on a recipe card!

GOLDEN SQUASH SOUP
1 med. butternut squash, cubed (abt 3 cups)
1 med. onion, chopped
3 med. cloves garlic
1 TBSP chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp curry powder
2 3/4 c. chicken or veg. broth (plus about 2 TBSP to saute the onions & garlic)
6 oz. can coconut milk
2 TBSP fresh cilantro

Saute the onion and garlic in 2 TBSP broth, add ginger, turmeric, curry.
Add squash and broth - bring to a boil, reduce & simmer 10 min+ (to soften squash)
But in a blender - puree til smooth.
Return to pot, add coconut milk and cilantro, salt and pepper to taste - reheat.
Eat.
I know it sounds like a weird combination, but it's so good! Onions, Garlic, Ginger & Turmeric are all listed with stars (meaning they have extra special nutrient power :) in one of my favorite books, "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth".
Anything that has coconut milk in it is good - and what a great way to use up some squash! :)
Lauren even loves this soup. She asks for seconds! (which isn't a shocker - she asks for seconds of everything)

No comments:

Post a Comment