"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer!

In this post, I'm including pictures from 3 different events that show how our summer got started:

One day, early in June after a heavy rainstorm, Dave took Lauren out to do some puddle jumpin' in the street.

That led to shoulder rides, running around the yard. Lauren says "shodurs" and that's all it takes ~ Dave whisks her off the ground and off they go. She LOVES her daddy.

That was a little fun springtime activity, but now Summer has officially arrived and I could not be more happy!
On Saturday, we worked for hours in the yard. Lauren loved the hose and the shovel, her swing and slide. She didn't like the idea of keeping the hose in the garden. Her pants ended up soaked all down the front. :) I couldn't be mad - it was so refreshing!
Our neighbors had set up a huge bounce house with a water slide, for a family party later that day. Of course, it attracted all the neighbor kids, including Lauren, and they were nice enough to let everyone play for awhile. That was a fun distraction......and then, she discovered the next-door neighbor's wading pool, so I stripped her down right there in the back yard and put her swimming suit on. This kept her entertained until lunch, and allowed Dave to work hard, un-interrupted. Then after lunch she crashed and slept for 3 hours!!


Dave tilled the garden and a huge spot behind our garden, which was once completely overgrown with thick weeds up to his waist. (you can see it in the picture of Dave running with Lauren) I re-hoed (sp?) all the rows around the plants and watered everything. It's so fun to see the progress and growth! We have been loving the fresh spinach and are looking forward to the beets, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, peppers and melons.
Our yard needs a ton of work, but we are encouraged when we think of all the potential it has. It's a little overwhelming, but when we feel so much satisfaction as we knock things off the list little by little. We are so grateful to have the space.


What defines summer better than eating watermelon up in the canyon? This was the Saturday before Father's Day - an evening up the canyon with Dave's family.

I love Lauren's hair in pigtails. It's finally coming in enough to actually style it :) I do have to sneak it in sometimes when she's distracted and she always pulls it out, so I re-do it at least 5 times a day, but it's worth it I think.

I love summer mornings with the soft sunlight coming over the mountains.

I love the sound of a watermelon snapping open after the first cut.

I love seeing Lauren in her hat and sunglasses :)

I love working hard in the yard and drinking fresh cold water.

I love smoothies made from milk, ice, blueberries, bananas and our own spinach and strawberries. (Yay for the Magic Bullet!!!)

1 comment:

  1. I love the update! Lauren is getting to be so big. I love fruit smoothies too! I got a magic bullet for my birthday and I am loving it! You need to stop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete