"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." ~Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Granola


I love Granola. I love it plain by the handfuls, on yogurt, or with milk. I love it! I love nutty crunchy things. But the issue with granola is that it usually has a lot of oil in it.....aka: a lot of fat.

Here's a recipe that I found in a "Martha Stewart Living" magazine.
It uses olive oil instead of vegetable oil. So at least it's a healthy fat ;)
Then there are walnuts, which are a great source of Omega 3's.
And unsweetened coconut flakes - another good fat.
And the unique flavor of nutmeg.
I admit that at first, I thought it tasted strange with the olive oil and nutmeg, but now I'm hooked. Try it!!

MAPLE GRANOLA
from Martha Stewart Living
3 c. rolled oats (I like old fashioned)
1 c. dried unsweetened coconut chips (usually found at a health food store)
1 c. pecans or walnuts
1/2 c. pure maple syrup (I just used honey)
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. nutmeg.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Mix everything together (all dry ingredients first) then spread on a cookie sheet.
Bake, stirring every 10 min for about 40 min. ( I usually do less than that - just watch it closely)
Take it out when the edges start to brown slightly - the coconut looks slightly toasted.
It will be soft, but as it cools, it will crisp up.
*I also like to add flax seeds - you'll for sure chew a few of them and get some more omega 3's.
YUM!!

1 comment:

  1. I have a really good recipe for healthy granola as well. It uses canola oil and has almonds and wheat germ and wheat bran... those last two really help me feel like it is a great snack. I will have to taste your recipe out now and compare!

    ReplyDelete